- About ISS
- Prospective Students
- International Student Orientation
- Current Students
- Visa Travel
- Campus Resources
- Living in San Antonio
- Financial Aid Resources
Welcome Back, International Students! We hope you had a wonderful break from classes.
If you have questions or need to find the correct forms, please be sure to use the International Gateway as your first stop for information. Be sure to follow us on Facebook to keep up-to-date on international student news.
|Payment Deadline for Late Registration||
January 24 *You must pay by the deadline, or your classes will be dropped.
|Census Date||5 p.m., January 30|
|Spring Break (No classes)||March 11-16|
|Final Exams||May 4-10|
|End of Spring 2012 Semester||May 11|
Tuition and Fees Payment by Third Party
If you have been awarded a scholarship for tuition and fees, a stipend, or receive tuition assistance from an organization, agency or government (SACM, WAMS, Kuwait, etc.), please make sure to do the following:
- Submit your valid letter of financial guarantee/stipend from the sponsoring organization/agency with your student ID to UTSA Fiscal Services. UTSA Fiscal Services will bill the organization/agency for the approved amount of tuition and fees once they receive your documents. *International Student Services will not send your financial guarantee to UTSA Fiscal Services for you. It is your responsibility to submit the letter of financial guarantee/stipend to UTSA Fiscal Services.
Fiscal Services has two locations:
|Main Campus||Downtown Campus|
|John Peace Library (JPL), 1.03.06||Frio Street Building, 1.508|
|Monday – Thursday: 8 A.M. to 6 P.M.**Friday: 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.Saturday: 9 A.M. to 1 P.M.*||Monday – Thursday 8 A.M. to 6 P.M.**Friday: 8 A.M. to 5 P.M.|
*Saturday office hours for Spring 2013 are available on the following dates at the John Peace Library (JPL1.03.06) office only.
Reminder: Enrollment Requirements for F-1/J-1 Students
According to F-1/J-1 visa rules and regulations, F-1/J-1 visa students are required to enroll full-time each fall and spring semester. That means:
|Undergraduate students||Minimum 12 credit hours|
|Graduate students||Minimum 9 credit hours|
|Intensive English Program students||4 classes|
If F-1/J-1 visa students fail to enroll full-time or drop courses below the required full time hours without International Student Services approval, they will be considered out of status. These students will have their SEVIS record terminated, and consequently they may have to leave the country.
Reduced Course Load
The exceptions to the F-1/J-1 full course of study requirement are limited. Before F-1/J-1 students can reduce their course load, they must speak to an international student advisor to see if they are allowed to do so. Please remember F-1/J-1 students are not allowed to enroll below the required full time hours without International Student Services prior approval. If you are completing your degree program this spring 2012 semester and do not have to enroll full-time to complete your program, you can apply for a reduced course load. Remember you need get prior approval from the International Student Services to enroll part-time. Graduate students who have completed their formal coursework and are engaged in their thesis or dissertation can apply for a reduced course load.
Employment in J-1 Status
Regulations require J-1 students to obtain prior approval from International Student Services to engage in any kind of employment, including on-campus employment. The students' employment needs to be recorded in SEVIS.
Any Change to Your I-20/DS-2019?
Check your Form I-20 or DS-2019 to see if you need to update your academic major or your financial information. By law, F-1/J-1 students are required to report any change of the information on your Form I-20/DS-2019. If you need to update your information, please come to the Office of International Programs for instructions.
Change of Address
International students are required to update their local address on ASAP and with the International Student Services within 10 days of moving. These two systems are not connected; you must update both places!
Steps to follow:
- Go to the International Gateway.
- Click on left-hand blue bar titled “Forms and Handouts”
- Forms are alphabetized.
- Change of Address is the 1st form under ‘C’.
- Complete ALL information including apartment number, city, state and zip code.
- Note: If you fail to update address, and keep it current, International Student Services will not be able to process letter requests or sign your I-20/DS-2019 form for travel.
Starting college classes and moving to a new country can result in culture shock, stress, and depression. Be sure you know the signs. If you need to talk with someone, UTSA Counseling Services is available on campus free of charge. All staff are professionally trained. Do not wait to make an appointment, call or email now.
Tax Workshops for International Students
International students need to file forms with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) annually, even if they did not earn any income. The UTSA Payroll Office and the Office of International Programs will hold a tax workshop for international students. No registration is needed.
- Date: February 28, 2013
- Time: 1 p.m.
- Location: Business Building, University Room, 2.06.04
Optional Practical Training (OPT) Workshops: F-1 Only
The International Student Services will provide workshops to advise F-1 visa students graduating in May 2013 and during the summer 2013 semester on how to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). OPT is temporary employment for practical training directly related to the F-1 student’s major area of study. Remember workshop attendance is mandatory for those who are planning to apply for OPT. During the workshop you will learn:
- What is OPT?
- Who can use OPT?
- When do I apply?
- What do I need to submit and how long does it take to get approved?
- Where can I work and for how long?
Registration is required. Only 10 students per workshop session.Register now for an OPT workshop! [caption id="attachment_38" align="alignright" width="99"] Register now for an OPT Workshop[/caption] Sessions will be held in MB 1.202:
- February 12, 8:30 a.m.
- February 28, 3:30 p.m.
- March 6, 8:30 a.m.
- March 19, 8:30 a.m.
- April 3, 8:30 a.m.
- April 18, 3:30 p.m.
- May 13, 8:30 a.m.
Internships: Be careful you do not violate your visa!
Please speak with an international student advisor before accepting a paid or unpaid internship. You may inadvertently violate your visa requirements, or affect the time given for Optional Practical Training. You may need employment authorization before you begin your internship; there may also be special requirements for your place of employment. Read more about on- and off-campus employment on our website.
Trinity University Offers Career Workshop for International Students & Faculty
Trinity University will hold a free Career and Immigration Workshop for international students and faculty with guest speakers that can inform them about how to get a job in the U.S. and work legally here. There will be individual advising sessions also available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sign up to participate.
Reminder: International Student Services Hours
International student advisors provide one-to-one advising for international students during the following hours:
|Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday||Noon (12 p.m.) – 4 p.m.|
|Thursday & Friday||9 a.m. – 1 p.m.|
Advising is available on a first come, first-served walk-in basis. No appointment is needed. You can drop off/pick up documents between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday at the International Student Services front desk. Document Processing It takes us 48 business hours to process documents, including letters requested through our online service. Please make your request well ahead of time!
UTSA Office of Equal Opportunity Services
Workshops for International Students
Several UTSA departments offer workshops that may be helpful. The UTSA Career Center has several workshops for international undergraduate and graduate students and The Graduate School offers several writing workshops for international graduate students this fall. The Tomas Rivera Center and the Writing Center offer free tutoring services and editing help.
Stay Cyber-safe this Semester
From The UTSA Center for Infrastructure Assurance and Security and the Office of Information Security
Be careful with your phone, laptop or tablet. Others could use them to impersonate you, harass you or steal your money.
- Always know where your devices are
- Keep the software on them up-to-date
- Protect them with passwords and anti-virus software and keep the software up-to-date
- Encrypt your devices, and back up all your important information
- If you lose a mobile device report it immediately to UTSA Police and change passwords to online accounts
Be careful with your email, text and voicemail. Others could use them to trick you into giving away student ID numbers, account numbers and other personal information. They could then use the information to impersonate you, harass you or steal your money.
- Be very suspicious of links or attachments in emails
- Check links by hovering your cursor over them to see where they lead
- Be very suspicious of links or attachments in Twitter feeds or Facebook posts
- Be very suspicious of texts, posts or voicemails about money
Be careful how you share information online.
- Do not download copyrighted material illegally – UTSA monitors the campus networks for illegal file sharing and you could be fined, expelled from the university and even go to jail. This would result in a loss of your visa status and you may be deported.
- Only use your personal phone, tablet or computer for sensitive tasks like banking, social media and university business
- “Shared folders” are accessible to anyone who is on the same network as you
- Do not use public Wi-Fi for personal business like banking or shopping
- Protect your personal wireless Internet connection with WPA2 encryption
- Never agree to meet someone alone who you only know online
- Think before you post. If your post could be used to hurt or embarrass you or someone else, do NOT post it
- For more information go to:
Shipping, Photos and More at The UPS Store