The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires F-1 students to maintain their immigration records throughout their stay in the U.S. Failure to maintain their immigration records will be considered as a violation to their visa status and revocation of future benefits.
Changes made in ASAP do not appear in our database records. You must inform us immediately.
At All Times
You must notify International Student Services within 10 days of any change listed. International Student Services will then notify the Department of Homeland Security.
- Name as listed on your passport
- Visa type or immigration status
- Change of address
- Change of dependent's official name, address, visa status, or permanent departure from U.S.
- Permanent departure from U.S.
- Change of major
Graduate students: You must get two letters to change your major on your I-20 Form.
- An official letter from The Graduate School
- A letter from your academic advisor stating the exact change of major and your anticipated graduation date.
When Changing Your Educational Level at UTSA
Once you are admitted to a program at the new level, you must submit the appropriate documents to International Student Services to receive a new I-20. Please contact International Student Services for more information.
While on Optional Practical Training
You must notify International Student Services within 10 days of any change listed:
- Change of U.S. local address
- E-mail address
- Telephone number
- Start or end of employment
- Change of your employer's address and/or telephone number
- Change of your employer's name
- Change of your official name
How to Report Changes
You can report most of the changes listed by submitting an online form. For some changes, such as name change or change of major, additional documents are required to update your immigration records. Changes made in ASAP do not appear in our database records. You must inform us immediately.