// In The News

Sixteen faculty-led study abroad program professors awarded UTSA Travel Grants

Sixteen UTSA professors are able to lower the costs of their summer 2016 faculty-led programs thanks to a $1,000 travel grant offered by the Office of the Vice Provost for International Initiatives. generic image for travel story
These professors, who will lead ten different education abroad experiences...

//Read More

Border County Program

First-Time Application

The UTSA Border County Program is a student tuition-assistance program that allows eligible F-1/J-1 visa students from Mexico with limited financial resources to pay Texas in-state tuition. This is a need-based program and not a competitive scholarship. If you are a readmitted or a change-of-level student then you must submit a First-Time Application.

Continuing in the Border County Program?

Application and Instruction Guide

How to complete your application: Instruction Guide

First-time Application

Eligibility Requirements

The applicant must:

  • Be a citizen or permanent resident of Mexico
  • Not have a U.S. Permanent Resident card or pending application for U.S. permanent residency
  • Plan to return to Mexico after finishing his or her educational program
  • Have an I-20/DS-2019 Form from UTSA
  • Have a current F-1/J-1 visa or be in the process of obtaining a valid F-1/J-1 visa
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Must enroll and maintain a full-time status:12 hours for undergraduate; 9 hours for graduates per semester. Students enrolled in the Intensive English Program are not eligible!
  • Required to maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate students or 3.0 for graduate students


First-time Application Deadline

  • Summer 2016: May 6, 2016
  • Fall 2016: July 10, 2016


Things you MUST know before applying for the Border County Program (FAQ)

Q: How do I apply for the Border County Program?

A: The application can be downloaded from this website. Completed application with required supporting documentation must  be submitted to the International Student Services no later than the deadline. You may submit your application packet by mail or in person.

No faxed or emailed applications will be accepted.

Our mailing address is listed on the application. First-time applicants must have the application certified by a Notary Public in Mexico.

Q: Do I need to be admitted to UTSA to apply for the Border County Program?

A: Yes, you must be admitted to UTSA in order to apply for the Border County Program.

Q: If I am enrolling in the Intensive English Program am I eligible for the Border County Program?

A: No. You must be admitted to a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate level academic program in order to apply.

Q: If I am not financially dependent upon my parents, how do I fill out my application for the Border County Program?

A: Some applicants might not be financially supported by their parents. If you, the applicant, financially support yourself, or if you are supported by someone other than your parents, you must complete the application using your own financial information or a sponsor’s personal and financial information. 

Q: What should I provide if another person will assist in payment of my tuition?

A: Some applicants may receive financial assistance with their college expenses from people other than their parents, for example, grandparents or other close relatives. This financial support information must be included in the application. You need to enter the personal and financial information for this other sponsor in the spaces provided on the application.

Q: If my parents or I own a business, how do I report that type of financial information?

A: The applicant must submit a notarized letter from a bookkeeper or accountant reporting the annual gross income earned by you or your parents from the business, and the net worth of the business. The letter must be on official business letterhead.

Q: How does the UTSA International Student Services office process the Border County applications?

A: Applications are reviewed for completeness, and supporting documents are verified and compared to the information supplied on the application.

Before the semester start date, a list of the approved Border County student participants will be provided by the Office of Financial Services, who will then adjust students’ accounts for the in-state tuition rate.

Q: If I am approved to participate in the program, how long will I be eligible to pay in-state tuition?

A: You will be eligible to pay Texas in-state tuition for one academic year, as long as you maintain all requirements for eligibility.

          · Spring semester applicants- eligible for in-state tuition for spring and the following summer semester

          · Summer semester - eligible for summer semester in-state tuition

Every year all Border County Program participants must re-apply and be recertified before the beginning of  the fall semester in order to continue receiving the in-state tuition.

Q: How will I be contacted?

Approved program participants are contacted at the email address listed on the application.

If you email changes you must update International Student Services via the website, as well as on your ASAP student account.

Q: If I am approved for one academic year, do I have to apply again for the next academic year?

A: Yes, it is called recertification. All participants, regardless of the semester they entered the program, will be required to update their financial information before the beginning of the fall semester each year. It is your responsibility to submit the required application by this deadline.

Q: If I was not approved, can I re-apply?

A: Yes, you may submit a new application during the next fall semester application period, unless you have proof that your financial situation has changed considerably (i.e., bankruptcy, loss of employment, natural disaster, etc.).