Health Insurance Waiver
The University of Texas Board of Regents now requires all international students to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the System Regulation
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
US Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange (must be ACA compliant)
- Carrier letter indicating Metal Tier and Qualified Health Plan certification (see notes below)
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Dates of coverage: August 1, 2014 through August 31, 2015
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- Medical evacuation coverage: 10,000 or more
- Repatriation of remains coverage: $7,500 or more
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, you may request a health insurance waiver. Be prepared to submit electronic copies of the following with your waiver request.
- Insurance card, front and back.
- Insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- Proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
- Fall 2014 waiver period: July 21, 2014 through September 5, 2014.
- Insurance waiver requests granted in the past may not meet the new requirements.
On-Line Waiver Process
If you have an alternate health insurance plan and you meet the waiver eligibility criteria, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of the AHP University SHIP. The waiver deadline is September 5, 2014.
- Have an electronic copy your insurance card, Policy Benefits Summary, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http://utsa.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue
- On the Login page, enter your UT San Antonio BANNER ID number (Do not enter “@0” when entering your BANNER ID.)
- Enter your birth date as the Password (format MMDDYYYY, example 01011990).
- Then on the next page, click the link under the heading Submit Waivers (On the right hand side of the page).
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
Notes: The carrier letter for a US Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (ie: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)