Health Insurance Waiver
The University of Texas Board of Regents now requires all international students to have medical insurance compliant with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver of the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the system regulation.
Click here to read more about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Click here to read more about the University of Texas Board of Regents regulations.
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- Must be ACA compliant
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- US Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
US Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange (must be ACA compliant)
- Carrier letter indicating Metal Tier (Gold) and Qualified Health Plan certification
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Unlimited maximum on benefits
- No Pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit the following with your waiver request:
- Copy of your insurance card, front and back.
- Copy of your insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- Copy of your proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
Notes: The carrier letter for a US Individual Plan must include a signed, official letter on letterhead stating:
- Plan holder name and date of birth
- Insurance carrier and plan name
- Start date and end date of coverage
- Metal tier of Plan (ie: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum)
- Confirmation that the plan is certified for sale as a Qualified Health Plan (QHP)
Spring-Summer 2015 waiver requests can be submitted now through mid-night January 16, 2015
On-Line Waiver System
- Go to http://utsa.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Review the requirements
- On the Login page, enter your UTSA BANNER ID number (exclude @)
- Enter your date of birth as the Password (format MMDDYYYY, example 01011990)
- Follow the instructions to begin your waiver request