Health Insurance Waiver
The UT System has established criteria in which an international student can request a waiver of the student health insurance plan by providing alternate health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set in the system regulation.
Click here to read more about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Click here to read more about the University of Texas Board of Regents regulations.
For waiver consideration you must meet one of the following criteria:
Sponsored Plan (US Government, Foreign Government, Embassy)
- Must be ACA compliant
- Must guarantee payment of all health care expenses in writing
- UT Employee Group Health Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- U.S. Employer Plan (must be ACA compliant)
- U.S. Individual Plan purchased from the Exchange (must be ACA compliant)
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs
If you meet one of the above criteria, then your alternate health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the essential minimum benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits
- No pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible per condition
- Covers 100% of preventive care as defined by the PPACA
- Imposes no provisions for co-insurance that exceed 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness
- Policy dates must coincide with UT SHIP determined dates.
Medical evacuation and repatriation coverage requirements:
- Medical evacuation coverage of $50,000 or more
- Medical repatriation coverage of $25,000 or more
If your alternate coverage meets the above criteria and requirements, submit the following with your waiver request:
- Copy of your insurance card, front and back.
- Copy of your insurance policy benefits summary, in English, that identifies you as a covered individual, provides the dates of your coverage, and clearly indicates that the coverage meets or exceeds the minimum requirement. Coverage amounts must be in US dollars.
- Copy of your proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
- If you qualify for a waiver of our UT System medical insurance plan but you do not have medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, you will automatically be enrolled in the UT System offered Academic Emergency Services (AES) plan. The AES covers the medical evacuation and repatriation requirement.
Waiver Period and Process
The Fall insurance waiver system will be open July 5, 2017 through September 7, 2017. All documents must be submitted to AHP no later than 11:59 p.m. CST.
Online Waiver System
- Go to http://utsa.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Review the requirements
- On the Login page, enter your UTSA BANNER ID number (exclude @, examples 01234567 or 00123456)
- Enter your date of birth as the Password (format MMDDYYYY, example 01011990)
- Click on the red waiver link found under “NO, I do not want the insurance.” section on the waiver home page.
- Enter your insurance information and attach proof documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button at the bottom of the waiver form.
Following Your Waiver Submission
- If your waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements including sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage the UT SHIP fee is waived in full.
- If your waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements excluding sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, the medical insurance fee is waived and a fee for repatriation/evacuation coverage is assessed in your UTSA tuition and fee bill.
- If your waiver request is incomplete or your policy does not meet the minimum requirements you will receive an email indicating that you are not eligible for a waiver.
- If you receive an email stating your waiver is approved, check your ASAP account. The insurance waiver will be applied to your UTSA tuition and fee balance within 7-10 business days. If your tuition and fees are already paid in full, the insurance fee will be reimbursed by the UTSA Fiscal Services through direct deposit or check within 10 days after your account adjustment.