- About ISS
- Prospective Students
- International Student Orientation
- Current Students
- Visa Travel
- Campus Resources
- Living in San Antonio
- Financial Aid Resources
Required Health Insurance Coverage
The University of Texas System Board of Regents requires that all international students holding non-immigrant visas must maintain comprehensive health insurance while enrolled at any UT System institution. The Board of Regents permits our institution to charge students the fee for enrollment in the system-sponsored student health insurance plan. This is automatically charged to your student tuition account when you register for classes.
If a student can demonstrate existing coverage of a comparable comprehensive health insurance plan from a source other than the UTSA student insurance plan, you may be able to waive the mandatory insurance fee.
Does your existing insurance meet these requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $7,500
- Medical Evacuation to your home country in the amount of $10,000
- Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coverage under the UT System Employee Group Insurance Plan
- Coverage through a comparable mandatory employee plan
- Coverage through a government-sponsored health plan
- Your policy is written in English
- Currency amounts are in U.S. dollars
- Policy is a continuing policy that is in effect prior to the first day of the semester and continues throughout the entire waiver period
Also any policy plan must be underwritten by an insurance corporation having:
- An A.M. Best rating of “A-“ or above;
- An Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-“ or above;
- A Standard and Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A” or above;
- A Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above.
All J-1 students and their J-2 dependents must have health insurance qualified for above criteria throughout the entire program participation period listed on their DS-2019s.
If your insurance policy does meet or exceed these requirements, you may submit a Health Insurance Waiver Application prior to the current semester deadline date for a possible health insurance waiver.