Social Security Number
A Social Security Number is a nine-digit number issued to those who are authorized to work in the United States. Its primary purpose is to report wages to the U.S. government for taxation purposes. Only those F-1 and J-1 visa students who are authorized to work can apply for an SSN. International faculty, staff and scholars at UTSA on a J-1, TN, O-1, E-3 visas may also need a Social Security Number.
Documentation Required for SSN Application
All F-1 and J-1 visa students are required to provide the following items to the Social Security Administration when applying for a Social Security Number:
- A completed Social Security application form (Form SS-5). This can be filled out at the Social Security office, or it can be downloaded and completed in advance. Copies of the Social Security application can also be obtained at the Office of International Programs front desk
A letter from the employer (for F-1/J-1 visa students ONLY)
- The letter must be signed and dated by the supervisor or a person who has hiring authority in the department in case of an on-campus job
- The letter must include required details about the job. The template below should be printed on letterhead.
- If you are a student: A letter from International Student Services, which verifies good immigration status and full-time enrollment for the current semester, can be requested after you register for classes.
- If you are a J-1 Scholar: A letter from International Scholar Services to verify immigration status and employment at UTSA. This ietter is provided to you during J-1 Scholar Orientation.
- I-20 or DS-2019
Make copies of all the required documents and take them with you to the Social Security Administration office.
A handout with information on the locations of Social Security Administration offices in San Antonio if available in the Office of International Programs. After you apply for your Social Security Number, you will receive a temporary card to take to your employer. You will receive your Social Security Card in the mail in about two weeks after you make your application for the card.
UTSA Human Resources has a step-by-step guide for how to apply for your Social Security Card.