// In The News

Fulbright Specialist Program recruiting for those with refugee experience

The Fulbright Specialist Program, the U.S. Department of State has announced new opportunities for U.S. professionals to share their experience on refugee resettlement and related issues with colleagues in the government and private sectors in Europe. 

These are two- to...

//Read More

Social Security Number

Please use the ‘Applying for Social Security Card’ handout.

A Social Security Number is a nine-digit number issued to those who are authorized to work in the United States. Its primary purpose is to report wages to the U.S. government for taxation purposes. Only those F-1 and J-1 visa students who are authorized to work can apply for an SSN. International faculty, staff and scholars at UTSA on a J-1, TN, O-1, E-3 visas may also need a Social Security Number. 

Documentation Required for SSN Application

All F-1 and J-1 visa students  are required to provide the following items to the Social Security Administration when applying for a Social Security Number:

  • A completed Social Security application form (Form SS-5). This can be filled out at the Social Security office, or it can be downloaded and completed in advance. Copies of the Social Security application can also be obtained at the Office of International Programs front desk
    • In order to complete ‘#5’ on the application, please consider the following:
      • If you check “Legal Alien Allowed to Work” you must provide a valid Form I-20 or DS-2019 as proof that you are eligible for employment.  If you do not possess one of these documents, you may provide a valid Employment Authorization Document (also known as an ‘EAD card’).  It is best to take a copy of your employment letter with you at the time you apple for the SSN.
      • If you check “Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work” or “Other,” you must provide a document from a U.S. Federal, State, or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all the requirements for the government benefit. NOTE: Most agencies do not require that you have a Social Security number.
  • A letter from the employer (for F-1/J-1 visa students ONLY)
    • The letter must be signed and dated by the supervisor or a person who has hiring authority in the department in case of an on-campus job
    • The letter must include required details about the job. The template below should be printed on letterhead.

Letter of Hiring (fillable format, PDF)
Letter of Hiring (for handwritten completion, MS Word)

  • If you are a student: A letter from International Student Services, which verifies good immigration status and full-time enrollment for the current semester, can be requested after you register for classes.
  • If you are a J-1 Scholar: A letter from International Scholar Services to verify immigration status and employment at UTSA. This ietter is provided to you during J-1 Scholar Orientation. 
  •  I-94
  • I-20 or DS-2019

Take all the required documents and copies of all required documents with you to the Social Security Administration office.

Please see Directions and Maps for information on the locations of Social Security Administration offices. Underlined portion should open the attached PDF
After you apply for your Social Security Number, you will receive a temporary card to take to your employer. You will receive your Social Security Card in the mail approximately two weeks after you file your application for the card.

UTSA Human Resources has a step-by-step guide for how to apply for your Social Security Card.

Have you lost your Social Security Card?  Underlined portion should open the attached PDF (Lost Social Security Card handout)