September 23, 2013
Students, faculty and staff can participate in annual competition; winners will be displayed in Gallery 23 show.
By Sherrie Voss Matthews, International Media & Marketing Coordinator
Students, faculty and staff who have been abroad have the chance to compete in the third annual UTSA International Photo Competition.
The top 10 student-submitted images and top three faculty or staff submitted images will be displayed at UTSA’s Gallery 23 from November 11 – January 24. There will be a gallery opening celebration on Nov. 11 as a part of the International Education Week kickoff celebration.
Prizes also will be awarded.
“Last year, we had more than 100 entries in the competition,” says Sherrie Voss Matthews, International Media & Marketing Coordinator for the Office of International Programs. “It was an amazingly difficult choice for the panel of judges to pick just one winner. We’d like to see as many, if not more, entries this year.”
• Participants must be current UTSA students, faculty or staff.
• Photos must be original work.
• Photos must not have appeared previously in a gallery showing or other professional setting.
• Entries should represent a global or cross-cultural experience. Images may have people in them, but should have a more artistic take. Please, no group shots in front of monuments or deer-in-headlights, grip-and-grin photos.
• All images should be taken outside of the United States. (Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and other U.S. territories are considered part of the United States.)
• No more than 5 entries per person.
• Entries must be received no later than noon (12 p.m.) October 1, 2013; emailed to Sherrie.Matthews@utsa.edu. Type IEW PHOTO CONTEST in the subject line.
• Submissions must include title, your biographical information, and the short, 100-word essay in the body of the email and include your photo as a .jpg or .tiff attachment. "(Winning entries will have these essays included in the gallery program for the Gallery 23 exhibit.)
There are more detailed technical specifications for entries this year, as well, due to the Gallery 23 show. Images must be capable of being printed in a large format. We request that all images submitted be capable of being printed as an 11 x 14 image (2100 x 1650 pixels). Images need to be 10 to 12 megabytes for the Gallery 23 show.
The deadline for this year’s contest is October 1, 2013, at noon. Entries may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with IEW PHOTO CONTEST in the subject line. Full contest details can be found at http://utsa.edu/iew/photo.html. You can also see images that have won in previous years.
International Education Week was first held in 2000 and today it is celebrated in more than 100 countries worldwide. International Education Week gives domestic students an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This year’s celebration will be held Nov. 12-16.