// In The News

UTSA welcomes SACM students enrolled in Canadian universities

The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) is aware that Saudi Arabia has suspended government funding to students who are studying in Canada. We know this puts you in a tough situation so we wanted to let you know that UTSA is here to help.

Our admissions and student services teams are...

//Read More

Tips While Abroad

Emergencies: UTSA Students and Scholars Traveling Worldwide

If you are a UTSA student or scholar abroad, International SOS is available to assist you with medical or other emergencies.

The U.S. Department of State offers the following tips for travelers abroad:

  • Register with the State Department. Register your travel plans with the State Department through a free online service at https://travelregistration.state.gov This .will help us contact you if there is a family emergency in the U.S., or if there is a crisis where you are traveling. In accordance with the Privacy Act, information on your welfare and whereabouts will not be released to others without your express authorization.
  • Sign your passport and fill in the emergency information. Wherever you go, make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa, if required. Fill in the emergency information page of your passport.
  • Leave copies of itinerary and passport data page. Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
  • Check your overseas medical insurance coverage.
  • Familiarize yourself with local conditions and laws. While in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws. The U.S. State Department has useful safety and other information about the countries you will visit.
  • Take precautions to avoid being a target of crime:

            • Do not wear conspicuous clothing or jewelry
            • Do not carry excessive amounts of money
            • Do not leave unattended luggage in public areas
            • Do not accept packages from strangers.

  • Contact us in an emergency. Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens.

Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at http://travel.state.gov.

The Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs:

The U.S. or Canada, call 1-888-407-4747.

If you are overseas, call 202-501-4444.

If you are an international student who needs help while in the United States

Visa or Immigration Issues
Ask the official to call the Office of International Programs at 210-458-7202. Nights and weekends, call the UTSA police at 210-458-4242 and ask for assistance in contacting an international student adviser.

If you have problems
Ask the border officer or immigration official to call the Office of International Programs at 210-458-7202. Nights and weekends, call the UTSA police at 210-458-4242 and ask for assistance in contacting an international student adviser.

Ask the border officer for an I-515. This is a document that allows you to stay in the U.S. for 30 days. If you receive an I-515, make an appointment with the Office of International Programs immediately.

If UTSA is closed and you have been evacuated due to an emergency and relocated as a result of the emergency or natural disaster

1. Remember to take all of your important documents with you, these include:

  • Passport and visa
  • SEVIS-issued I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94
  • Social Security Card
  • Financial Records
  • Plane Tickets
  • Checks and Credit Cards

2. Take all of your contact numbers and e-mail addresses.

3. Stay in touch with the Office of International Programs (if it is still open and operating). If the office is not responding, try contacting the UTSA University Police Department with your present location and your status as a UTSA International Student. You may call the UTSA University Police at

4. If you cannot get in touch with the UTSA University Police (and you are a student on an F-1 or J-1 Visa, immediately contact the Student Exchange and Visitor Program to let them know where you are and how you can be reached.
You may e-mail the Student Exchange and Visitor Program or call free from any phone: (800) 961-5294. If you are unable to reach the Student Exchange and Visitor Program by phone or e-mail, be sure to check the website for general information and guidance.

5. In addition to contacting the Student Exchange and Visitor Program, please send an e-mail to internationalprograms@utsa.edu. Report your location and provide us with an e-mail address where you can be reached.