// In The News

Gigi Do named executive director of the UTSA Office of International Programs

The UTSA Office of International Programs has named Gigi Do its new executive director.  Do has more than 17 years of experience working in international education, including in her most recent role as deputy superintendent for Global Education, Engagement and Partnerships for the International...

//Read More

Travel to Canada, Mexico & Adjacent Islands

Normally a foreign national must present a valid and unexpired visa in the correct category when entering the U.S. An exception to this policy is for non–immigrants seeking entry into the U.S. after a visit of not more than 30 days to Mexico, Canada, or adjacent islands* (except Cuba). This is called Automatic Extension of Visa Validity.

Conditions for Automatic Extension of Validity at Ports of Entry

The student:

  • Is applying for readmission after a stay of not more than 30 days in an adjacent country or island
  • Is in lawful status and intends to resume that status upon return to the U.S.
  • Holds a valid passport
  • Has not applied for a new visa during this trip
  • Is not from a country identified as a state sponsor of terrorism:

             o Cuba
             o Iran
             o Iraq
             o Libya
             o North Korea
             o Syria

  • Is applying for readmission within the authorized period of stay, as shown on the I–94
  • Has an unexpired I–20 or DS–2019 signed for travel by an international student advisor
  • Is not inadmissible under I.N.A. 212 and has never had a visa canceled under I.N.A. 222(g)

When leaving the U.S. to visit Mexico, Canada, or an adjacent island, keep your I-94. It is important that you still have it when you re–enter the U.S. under the Automatic Extension provision.

What are the adjacent islands?

  • Saint Pierre
  • Miquelon
  • The Dominican Republic
  • Haiti
  • Bermuda
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Jamaica
  • The Windward and Leeward Islands
  • Trinidad
  • Martinique
  • Other British, French and Netherlands territories or possessions in or bordering on the Caribbean Sea

You do not need a valid visa to visit Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. You will need a valid I-20 and an an unexpired I-94. Be sure your SEVIS records show you are in valid immigration status.

Source: U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Enforcement