// In The News

Tax workshop for international students, staff and faculty announced

By Sherrie Voss Matthews, International Media & Marketing Coordinator

The UTSA Payroll Office and the Office of International Programs will offer a tax workshop for international students, faculty and staff who are at UTSA on non-immigrant visas, such as H1-B, F-1, J-1 or the...

//Read More

J-1 Scholar

Type of visa (immigration status)

Professor or research scholar.

Eligibility criteria

  • Invitation to teach, lecture or conduct research
  • Indication of adequate financial support for length of program

Possible income from U.S. sources

  • Unlimited income for work on campus in pursuit of academic objective
  • Off-campus work allowed only for occasional lectures and consultations with prior approval from the Office of International Programs

Maximum length of stay in U.S.

  • Five years


  • Relatively easy and quick to obtain
  • Spouses may work with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approval and/or go to school full time


  • May be subject to two-year home residence requirement based on funding, skills or field of specialty (such as medical)
  •  Cannot change program objective

Supporting documentation needed

  • Details of academic objectives
  • Evidence of financial support for length of program
  • DS-2019 (issued by UTSA or program sponsor)

UTSA hiring form needed