- UTSA Policy
- Paying Nonresident Employees
Type of visa (immigration status)
Spouse or unmarried minor (under age 21) child of J-1 visa holder.
- Legal spouse or child of J-1 visa holder
- J-1 must prove financial support (including insurance coverage) for each dependent
Possible income from U.S. sources
May apply for work permit
Maximum length of stay in U.S.
As long as J-1 maintains status
- May be employed full-time with appropriate U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services approval
- May study full-time
- If J-1 is subject to two-year home resident requirement, so is the J-2
- May not be able to change visa status inside the U.S.
Supporting documentation needed
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of relationship to J-1
- DS-2019 (issued by UTSA or program sponsor)