// In The News

Gigi Do named executive director of the UTSA Office of International Programs

The UTSA Office of International Programs has named Gigi Do its new executive director.  Do has more than 17 years of experience working in international education, including in her most recent role as deputy superintendent for Global Education, Engagement and Partnerships for the International...

//Read More


I am confused about the application process. What should I do first?
1. Make arrangements to take the TOEFL or IELTS. For the TOEFL, make sure to list the UTSA code number so that your scores will be sent to UTSA.  The code is 6919.
2. Go to http://www.applytexas.org and complete the international application for admission to UTSA.
3. Mail all necessary documents, such as school transcripts.  All transcripts and test score must be official.  We cannot accept photocopied, faxed or scanned copies.
I'm having trouble completing the ApplyTexas application online. Can anyone help me?
The ApplyTexas website has a toll-free number to assist students. Call 1-888-311-8881.
What is a first-time freshman?
  • Those who have not attended a college or university before high school graduation
  • Those who have been dually enrolled in college and high school
  • Those who enroll in a fall semester after attending college during the summer immediately after high school graduation
If I applied to UTSA previously but did not attend, do I need to reapply?
Yes, regardless as to whether you were admitted or not. Applications for admission are term-specific and they are only for the term (fall, spring or summer) for which you applied. They are not transferable.
If I have to reapply, will I need to pay another application fee?
Yes. That fee is to pay for the processing of the application; it is not an admittance fee.
How long will UTSA keep documents I submit even if I did not enroll?
Official documents are scanned and indexed to the student's file upon receipt. Once submitted, a document becomes the property of UTSA; if you would like your document(s) returned to you, please let us know at the time you submit them, otherwise they will be shredded.  It is your responsibility to pick up your documents from the Office of International Programs if you would like them back. 
I have already applied.  What's next?
Use the Automated Student Access Program (ASAP) to monitor the progress of your application.  Be sure that you have submitted all the necessary documents to complete your file. Not having the appropriate documents will delay your application.  Once all required documents are received and your application is complete, an admissions decision is usually made within 5-10 business days.
How can I check on my status? How will I know if transcripts have been received?
You can check your status on ASAP.  Once you submit an electronic application, an email notice will be sent to you within days of receipt of the application. That email contains your Student ID number which consists of three letters and three numbers, for example abc123.  You use this to log-in to the Automated Student Access Program (ASAP).  Look for an email with instructions on how to log into ASAP. You must log into ASAP within 72 hours of that email being sent. If you do not log in promptly, a new email will have to be sent to you.  
Will you tell me that my application has been received? Will you tell me if any additional documents need to be sent?
Receipt of applications is acknowledged by email. The email will also list any documents that have not yet been received. You are also welcome to check your admission status online. Please visit ASAP to check your status.
How will I know my admittance status?
ASAP is the fastest way to determine your status. Official letters are emailed the day after the admittance decision has been rendered to the email indicated on the application.
How do I get into the major that I want to study?
If you are successfully admitted, you will be offered admission based upon the general admission requirements of the university. Consult the Undergraduate Catalog for details on the admission requirements for your intended program of study. You will see an academic advisor during international new student orientation who can advise on what you need to get into your major.
What if ASAP is indicating that my file is incomplete, but I have sent all the documents required?
1. Check to be sure that you have submitted all the required documents.
2.  Be sure that all transcripts and test scores you have sent are official. Faxed, photocopied or scanned copies are not considered official. Please send a translation along with your school transcripts if they are not in English.
3. Allow time for the documents to be processed once they arrive. A document may have been received but not yet entered into the system.  At busy times of the year it can take a few days.
Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
Yes.  International students from non-English speaking countries must prove their English language proficiency in order to successfully attend UTSA.  If your English test scores do not meet our minimum requirement, you can apply to the Intensive English Program (IEP) to raise your English proficiency.  http://international.utsa.edu/esl-services/
What are the minimum TOEFL or IELTS scores required for admission?

Admission Type




Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP required)**




Bachelor's Degree Admission Qualification (ELAP exempt)





Where can I find more information about the TOEFL and IELTS, including the date and location of the next examination?
Can I take English as a Second Language classes at the same time as my degree program classes? Is there a charge for the English classes?
The English for International Students courses have the same tuition and fees as any other undergraduate courses.
To register for these classes a person must be admitted to a degree program at the undergraduate or graduate level. Students do take courses from their degree curriculum at the same time, but should not exceed a total of 15 semester hours.
How much does it cost to attend UTSA?
UTSA is one of the most affordable Texas public universities. The total estimated annual cost for tuition & fees (full course load of 15 hours), room & board (living on-campus), and all other expenses is approximately $37,000 for non-residents/out-of-state or $24,500 for Texas residents.  
See the 2016-17 Cost of Attendance webpages for further information.
Can I work to support myself part- or full-time while I am a student?
Yes, but on campus only. Student visas do not have work permits. The student visa is issued with the expectation that the student will be full-time and will devote his/her time to studies.  However, international students do not need a work permit to accept an on-campus job. This on-campus job must not exceed 20 hours a week and must be paid from local (not governmental) funds.
Can I earn enough to pay my tuition and living expenses with a campus job?
No, students are not guaranteed a job on campus. The amount earned will not be sufficient to pay room rent, tuition and fees, and purchase books. You might be able to earn enough for meals. You should not plan on receiving any income from a job when preparing your personal budget.
What are the "personal expenses" listed in the international student budget?
Personal expenses are listed in the budget because we want students to have a reasonably good idea of the total expense. The budget is intended to cover all expenses, except transportation to and from San Antonio. It is a conservative guess. Some students spend more than other students. Included in this estimate is money for city bus fare, an occasional movie ticket or other entertainment, purchase of personal toiletries, and other possible items. This is the most difficult estimate to make as students' personal preferences vary greatly.
Do you require all international applicants to submit a financial statement as a part of their application?
Yes. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) require all universities to obtain reliable documentation that the student has financial resources adequate to meet expenses while studying at their university.
The university is required to review and determine whether a student has sufficient funding to meet his or her educational and living expenses. The school is required to obtain actual documentation that funds exist at least for the student’s first year of study, and that, barring unforeseen circumstances; adequate funding will be available from the same or equally dependable sources for subsequent years.
I am from Mexico, and I am applying for the Border Counties Program.  Can I substitute that for my confirmation of financial resources?
No. If you do qualify and are awarded a tuition waiver through the Border Counties Program, it will cover part of your tuition.  It will not cover all tuition and other expenses.  Therefore, you must send a Confirmation of Financial Resources (CFR).  You will be able to use the Border Counties award as part of your financial statement. 
What is the FCSA? Do I need to request an evaluation report?
The Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA) is a private corporation that writes evaluations of foreign school credentials; it explains how the credentials equate to the U.S. education system.  All applicants who have earned university-level credit from foreign institutions are required to submit transcripts from non-U.S. schools, colleges, and universities through a credential evaluation service.  The FCSA website is www.foreigncredentials.org.
Can I use a different evaluation service?
Yes, any of the agencies listed on the www.naces.org website will be acceptable.
What is a semester hour credit?
A semester hour is a measure of time spent in lecture classes. One semester credit hour represents one hour per week for fifteen weeks. Almost all UTSA courses are 3 semester hours credit. Students are expected to spend approximately two hours outside class on readings, library research and written assignments for each hour of lecture.