For F-1/J-1 visa students, transferring from one school to another while remaining on the F-1/J-1 visas is called a SEVIS transfer.
If you are a UTSA F-1/J-1 students who has made the decision to attend another American institution, you must inform an international student advisor and request that your SEVIS record be released to the new school.
How to Request a SEVIS Transfer
Students must bring the following items to International Student Services to speak with an international student advisor:
1. Acceptance letter from the school to which you intend to transfer
3. Transfer-In Form from the school to which you intend to transfer
Students should discuss their travel plans and new program start date with the international student advisor to determine the best SEVIS release date.
- The student’s authorization for practical training ends on the SEVIS release date or the end of the work authorization, whichever is earlier.
- If the student works on campus, he or she must stop working on the SEVIS release date.
- If the student decides to cancel the transfer, he or she must notify International Student Services before the SEVIS release date. Once the SEVIS release date has been reached, UTSA will no longer have access to their SEVIS record.