Required Documents

As a precautionary measure, you should carry all the required documents below when you are traveling within the United States.

  •  Passport (should be valid for at least six months into the future)
  • F, J, H or other non-immigrant visa stamp in your passport should be valid for travel and return into the U.S.
  • Original immigration documents, including your I–20 (for F visa holders) or your DS–2019 (for J visa holders), signed for authorized travel by an International Student Services international student advisor
  • I–94 Form
  • An original I–797A Form (Approval Notice), if you are an H-1B, H-4, E-2, L-2, or other non-immigrant visa holder
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD card), if you are an F–1 student approved for Optional Practical Training
  • Letter from your employer, which confirms your current employment if you are on OPT, or you are an H-1B or TN visa holder

Optional Documents

  • Good standing letter if you are an F-1 or J visa student
  • Proof of financial support (scholarship letter, teaching assistantship letter, bank statement, etc.)

There are Immigration Inspection Stations along the highways in the U.S. states that border Mexico. Your documents will be requested at these stations. The immigration law requires individuals over the age of 18 to carry their "registration" documents with them at all times. The "registration" document for F, J H, or other non-immigrant visa holders is the I–94 card. Other "registration" documents may include permanent or temporary resident cards and Employment Authorization cards, if you have those. You should carry your UTSA identification card with you as well.

If you have problems

  • Ask the official to call the Office of International Programs at 210-458-7202.
  • Nights and weekends, call the UTSA police at 210-458-4242 and ask for assistance in contacting an international student advisor.