// In The News

Gigi Do named executive director of the UTSA Office of International Programs

The UTSA Office of International Programs has named Gigi Do its new executive director.  Do has more than 17 years of experience working in international education, including in her most recent role as deputy superintendent for Global Education, Engagement and Partnerships for the International...

//Read More

H-1B Scholars: Faculty & Staff

The H–1B is a work authorization visa. It allows a non–immigrant to work as a professional in a "specialty occupation" for a specific U.S. employer, for a specific period of time, and in a specific location.

The first step in the H–1B process is the employer’s decision to sponsor a foreign national for H–1B.

UTSA Hiring Department must ask:

  • Does the employer’s position qualify as a specialty occupation?
  • Does the foreign national have the necessary credentials to qualify for H–1B status?

A specialty occupation is one that requires a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the field of specialization. Some professions may require advanced degrees, licenses, or certificates beyond the bachelor’s (such as teachers, accountants, lawyers, or post-doctoral fellows).

Eligibility criteria

  • Professional degree and skill
  • Evidence that position to be filled requires professional skills and is temporary

Possible income from U.S. sources

  • Unlimited income from UTSA
  • No other income without petition from new employer

Maximum length of stay in U.S.

  • Three years initially
  • Renewable for total of no more than six years


  • May have long-term intent to immigrate
  • Not subject to home-country residence requirement


  • Large amount of supporting documentation needed
  • Job must pay prevailing wage
  • Dependents may not work

Supporting documentation needed (This is not a complete list. The UTSA Hiring Department must contact International Scholar Services to begin the process.)

  • Certified copy of highest degree
  • Employer letter
  • Labor condition application
  • Curriculum vitae
  • I-94 card
  • List of publications, if applicable
  • Copy of passport
  • Copies of any previous U.S. immigration documents
  • I-129 (issued by UTSA)
  • Payment records from prior H-1B employers


H1-B Worksheet for Hiring Department

H1-B Worksheet for Non-immigrant Worker

The UTSA Hiring Department must contact International Scholar Services to begin the process.  Hiring Department is legally responsible for payment of federal fees.